Monday, August 11, 2008

Guilt: Motivator or 4-Letter Word?

Ok, so I admit, I have not been very consistent this summer with both FHE and FSS. Yikes! And as a result I am now filled with guilt. But not the good guilt (is there such a thing?) - this is the "I am such a horrible mother, I am so disappointed in myself, I just want to give up" kind of guilt. Now I know that someone might say, "it's okay, everyone forgets now and again." And if that were the case I wouldn't feel so guilty. My guilt comes from the fact that I have remembered that it's Monday, and I have remembered we need to read scriptures regularly, but I have still not done them - I just haven't wanted to. And so now the guilt seeps in!

I've noticed that sometimes I feel guilty about not doing something and it eventually motivates me to try harder, and be better. But then there are the times when I'm just so tired of trying to do everything right and realizing I'm not doing a very good job, and I start to feel crushing feelings of guilt. This guilt does not motivate me, this guilt paralyzes me and makes me feel worse - such is how I feel now. Not good!

So, my question is, is guilt a good thing? Does guilt motivate you or make you feel worse? Isn't there a better way to feel motivated? I personally don't like guilt, and I don't like doing something just because I feel guilty. I prefer more positive ways of motivation.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Similar feelings? If so, please share, I'd love to hear your opinion! Thanks!

5 comments:

autumn said...

I think guilt is good to a point. I feel guilty about eating too much pie and thus eat healthy for the next two hours. But for the most part I think guilt is bad unless it motivates you and doesn't make you depressed. It generally makes feel depressed and then I realize life is sucky. So, whenever I feel guilty for not running or being more spiritual, I tell myself that thankfully, tomorrow is another day and I can do better. I won't beat myself up for not doing it today, I'll just try harder. There you have it. No guilt. I try to let the past go and focus on what I can do now. It makes me feel better. I sure hope I've been writing guilt and not quilt....long story. Tell you about it later.

Anonymous said...

I try not to think of thing like this with guilt. Rather to regroup and strive to be better. I try to remember that Heavenly Father wants us to do our BEST. Sometimes we aren't at our best, so if we just shed the clothes that make us less than who we are or can be and start over, we do better. Hang in there thats why God created eternity!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Janet, I am anonymous.

Ann Ropp

Anonymous said...

The only way to stop the guilt is do it for one day. Just today. You will be surprised how easy that was. And you will know how much Heavenly Father loves you.

Janet said...

Thanks for your advice! It's definitely something I struggle with in many aspects of my life but I am working on it. I DID do the "no guilt" thing for a whole day a few months back and it was very enlightening, I learned a lot about myself and my motivation behind things. I need to keep practicing.