Sunday, August 3, 2008

FSS Tip of the Week - Timing is Everything

The idea for this post came while reading scriptures with my children today. My oldest daughter was tired and not putting much effort into her reading, and didn't want to answer any questions. My younger daughter got her feelings hurt and mumbled everything she read. So we stopped. Even though we still had several verses to read in that lesson, I decided to stop before things got ugly. In the past, when I've pushed on and made them read until the end, someone, or even everyone, ends up leaving mad and/or crying. Was that my purpose when we began? I don't think so. What was my purpose? Well, for one, it was to bring the spirit into our home, and for another, it was to help my children gain a greater understanding of the scriptures. If, today, I had kept reading, would either of those purposes been met? I think not. Which is why I stopped on a good note. Granted, we had only read for a few minutes, but sometimes that's enough.

So my tip this week is to be aware of the timing in your scripture reading. Don't read longer than your children can pay attention, and don't worry about how much you read. Often we will get stuck on one verse, one concept, and have a really good discussion during our scripture study. And when that happens, I try to remember to stop on a good note. My purposes were met and everyone left feeling a greater measure of the spirit.

When your children are younger, it's okay to read only a few verses, or even just one verse. The time will come soon enough when you are reading entire chapters (we're still working up to reading one chapter). Enjoy this time while they are young, and remember why you're reading. Teach them to love the scriptures, to feel the spirit and to learn what Heavenly Father would want them to know right now.

So remember that timing really is everything, and to love the time you have reading together!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. There have been too many times when we have kept going with our scripture study despite the bad feelings and it ends up with everyone upset. Better to end on a high note.

Unknown said...

I like what you said about timing. When we first started reading with the kids everyone was screaming, and finally we realized we needed to adjust for their age, it seriously makes a world of difference, now they get mad if we don't read scriptures before bed, although that might just be because they're trying to get out of bedtime.